Clean Water & Sanitation
Clean water is the source of life and we believe access to it is a basic right. Lack of clean water causes disease and adds an additional layer of burden and complexity for vulnerable populations trying hard to fight their way out of endemic poverty. Our program empowers them by providing clean water.
Clean Water & Sanitation
We install 3 kinds of clean water sources: hand pumps (semi-deep and deep tube wells), submersible pumps, and motorized wells to provide clean drinking water to displaced communities living in camps. Both the submersible pumps and motorized wells provide multiple access points, faucets, and water tanks. We also build bathrooms, dustbins and toilets to ensure proper sanitation in the camps.
When you donate to this fund, we put your donation towards the most pressing needs in the camps we serve.
When you donate $250 or more, you can specify what you would like to appear on a nameplate installed with the water or sanitation project. Once installed, we will share photos with you. For donations under $250 your donations will be used to repair wells or combined with other donations to help complete a water or sanitation project and you will be able to view the progress on our social media platforms.
Displaced population camps in Bangladesh.
See below. Costs can vary due to depth of the water source and how many drilling sessions are required (hence the “up to”). If the cost ends up being less than your donation, we use the remaining amount towards more water sources or repair existing ones.
- Hand pumps: $250 to $400 (benefits up to 200 people)
- Submersible pump: up to $1,000 (benefits up to 600 people)
- Motorized well: $6,000 to $12,000 (benefits up to 3,000 people)
- Toilet: $480
- Bathroom: $750
- We have installed over 500 hand pumps to date, however based on our most recent assessments, the need is now much greater for submersible pumps and motorized wells in the camps so our program will concentrate on those. The cost of a hand pump can be contributed towards a share of a submersible pump or motorized well and nameplates can be included for each share.
- Installation requires up to 12 months due to various factors including that we install in bulk, to get cheaper prices on material; we install in various cities/locations so all of the assessments need to be completed before we begin any installation; our team needs time to conduct field assessments; we have to find space in crowded camps for the installation of the well, platform, and drainage. Weather/season plays a role i.e. heavy rains during the monsoon season cause delays. Currently lockdown measures and other issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic are also causing delays.